THE JOURNEY FROM WHO I AM TO WHO I WANT TO BE
with Paul Olteanu
WHAT IS COACHING?
Coaching is a personal development journey that you and your coach carry out together, in order to tap on your full personal and professional potential.
The three pillars of coaching – trust, revealing questions and honesty – are the basis of a transformational process that can significantly improve your leadership abilities, your career and your life in general.
Coaching starts from the assumption that there is nothing wrong with the client, all the resources needed for their personal and professional life are there. It is up to the coach to encourage the client to discover and make use of these resources and to find outside-the-box solutions to any problem that might arise.
Absolute trust in the client’s potential goes hand in hand with absolute honesty: the coach will not sweet talk the client; on the contrary, the coach is there to put things bluntly and to name that elephant in the room that our friends and colleagues avoid mentioning.
It was Socrates, in Ancient Greece, who first coined the most important coaching tool of all: questions, some of them inconvenient, that will challenge the mind and the soul to participate in a self-discovery process that dismantles any preconceived ideas on the way.
What will I gain?
There are countless situations where coaching can lend a helping hand. Here are some of the most common ones:
- • You are facing a very important decision in your professional and/or personal life and you simply cannot make up your mind.
- You have recently been promoted and you have never managed a team before.
- Success is not as easily achievable as a few years back.
- You feel that your manager and your peers are overestimating you and you are afraid not to let them down.
- You want to be SOMEONE – you just don’t know who, exactly.
- You have been told that you lack people skills.
- You want to perform better, but something inside yourself keeps you from succeeding.
- Between home and work there’s a gap that you can no longer cross.
- Lately, work has become a burden and you find yourself lacking the motivation to even show up every day.
What coaching is NOT
It is difficult to set clear separation lines between various professions dealing with personal development. Still, even if they might overlap, there are differences:
- A coach is a travel companion who believes in you and helps you tap on your full potential.
- An advisor or consultant will offer advice and experience in dealing with issues that pertain to their area of expertise.
- A mentor will guarantee for you, provide advice, experience, privileged information, access to professional circles and recommendations.
- A teacher will educate you by sharing knowledge.
- A therapist will help you overcome obstacles that have been troubling you for a while and that usually stem from the distant past.
- A trainer will help you master new skills and abilities.
The objectives of coaching
Although all the above-mentioned approaches are valuable and contribute to personal development or transformation, coaching has two fundamental objectives that are worth underlining, irrespective of the particular situation:
A coach’s first objective is to enable the client to “cast a light in the dark corners of their minds” and to see things from a completely new perspective. As awareness and understanding increase, the client discovers new possibilities of action and behaviour that can be then taken on.
After new options are discovered, the coach’s objective is now to support the client in making a decision, in assuming a course of action that will then be put into practice.
Paul Olteanu is an internationally certified senior trainer and executive coach (ACC), specialising in communication, behavioural psychology and transformational processes.
In the past 11 years, he has developed and delivered programmes amounting to over 9,500 hours of training, coaching and consultancy on communication neuroscience, public speaking, psychological profiling applied to business, personal branding and group dynamics; he has worked in Europe, USA and Asia.
In 2017, Paul was part of the first generation of coaches receiving the Evolutionary Coaching certification – an organisational and personal transformation framework based on psychological evolution and neuroscience.
As of 2014, Paul is one of the top 5 European advisors certified in Story-based Transformation Process – a systematic methodology based on the brain’s neuroplasticity, which uses a daily exchange of short stories to generate swift personal and organisational transformations.
Since 2013, Paul has been a certified coach and trainer of the Process Communication Model®, an award-winning personality theory used by NASA in the selection and training of personnel and by American presidents in the preparation of their public speeches.
Until now, Paul has been the most active PCM® trainer and coach in Romania, having worked with over 1,500 professionals (national and multinational company managers, entrepreneurs, trainers, coaches and advisors) – in open or customised programmes.
I want to know more
For further details, please use this form. We will take care to answer in the shortest time possible.